On 13/02/16 18:58, Bill Cole wrote:
On 13 Feb 2016, at 3:49, Sebastian Arcus wrote:

Thank you. The donor machine has db42, db44 and db44 packages installed,

Based on the question below, I'll assume the second db44 above was a typo for db48, i.e. a Berkeley DB v4.8.x package.

Yes - sorry, you are right

Tangentially: that's a risky mess. It's a common problem but you should try to fix it to leave just one version, which probably means rebuilding a number of pieces of software.

Slackware current comes with all three versions - that's a default install and I checked the package list at Slackware.com. I'm afraid I'm not sure why, but I assume there is some logic to it - as the package choice in Slackware always seems to have some reasoning behind it. I also don't know why Slackware current doesn't include version 6.x (or even 4.6) - maybe something to do with the current politics of Oracle - or some other technical reason.

Using db48 for everything isn't a bad choice, despite the current version being 6.something, because there are still perfectly good pieces of software that use db4x but nothing later. In any case, you have a potentially fragile system there which may have different programs using diverse Berkeley DB versions which may be broken by otherwise routine updates. If you choose to leave a working system alone rather than proactively clean it up, be sure to

while the recipient machine only db42 and db44. Would it be enough to install db48 on the recipient machine, or are there also any glue/library Perl modules involved which SA uses for db access and would need to be updated as well?

Any answer to that has so many conditional branches that I'm unwilling to attempt a definitive one. You definitely need to install db48 on the recipient machine if you want it to be able to read hash files created elsewhere by db48. Depending on what other software is using db42 dn db44 there, installing db48 and doing nothing else MIGHT break something. Depending on how Perl was built and/or installed on that machine and how the various db* packages are installed it MIGHT be necessary to rebuild your core Perl package and/or non-core packages which may include BerkeleyDB or (probably not) DB_File and maybe (but most likely not) SpamAssassin itself. Figuring out what exactly depends on which package on a specific system (which you've not described in any detail) is an opportunity to exercise your core system administration skills :).

Thank you :-)