ok, after over 50 hours of trying to get this work, I finally have a solution. The first (certainly not the only) response that was helpful to the specific problem I posted was:

If that actually *did* get hits on BAYES_00 in this scenario then you likely are not training the bayes database than SA is actually using. What user are you training Bayes as, and what user is SA running under?
Both my sa-learn commands (manual and scripted) as well as SA pointed to the correct db, however it turns out the training I did re-wrote the ownership of the db files to root. A little bit of user permission adminning and that problem was solved. sigh, way too many hours lost on a permissions issue.

Next issue I will tackle is: URIBL_BLOCKED over which I was severly flogged even though it was not my question. I will attack this tomorrow.

After that this comment was made as well:
I've never used Cyrus, but my understanding is that it has one directory
per folder that holds both emails and metadata files. You appear to be
training on both.
This is an excellent catch and I will try and work some bash magic so that it only trains on mail messages.

BTW, many people commented on training ham and spam, training ham from the inbox, etc. Most of what I was doing was testing various scenarios to try and find /something/anything/ that would produce a sane BAYES header. During the testing I had complete control over the content of the imbox and ham and spam folders. The final configuration is scripted training (note not auto_learn) done on ham and spam folders.

Peter