In fact, now that I am confident the script is correct and that my email chain is in fact processing as I would like, I have moved the script into cron as user amavis. With amavis having read permissions to the appropriate folders ($user/{SPAM|HAM}).

su -c... I'll keep in mind if I ever want to run the script manually. Although if I run it manually as root is there really a risk? Are there any known attacks? I guess there could be some form of buffer overflow, or malformed content that causes SA to crash, but it's hard for me to imagine anything that could possible allow execution of some form of injected code. Or is this really just a case of "general best practices", "run as little as possible as root"? (Please dont read anything into my questions, I am truly curious)

Peter