Agreed.

We use sendmail, and check our DNSBL's their, it is much more efficient to use
them before we ever engage SA. It is extremely rare to find an IP that lands on
a reputable DNSBL and in those cases we can whitelist. Of course most of our
traffic is B2B, not sure how effective this would be in B2C or C2C.