On 2017-01-03 13:47, Antony Stone wrote:

> Given the increasing usage of Google-based business email services
> (and others, similar), wouldn't that tend to prevent you being able to
> manipulate the Message-ID header, because you are no longer in charge
> of the outbound server used by senders on your domain?

Most MUAs insert a Message-ID header by themselves, and the MTA doesn't
touch it.  That is definitely how it works here, with mutt and exim.  In
fact my Message-IDs are generated by a script I wrote to override the
mutt built-in ones.

Even many gmail patrons use an IMAP capable MUA and use gmail as just a
SMTP submission server.  It doesn't work perfectly due to quirks in the
gmail IMAP implementation, but it works.