On Tue, 3 Jan 2017, ma...@assembly.state.ny.us wrote:

On 1/3/2017 8:12 AM, Christoffer G. Thomsen wrote:
blacklist or increase score for mails that reply to unknown
message IDs.

Remember that someone out in the world might do a "Reply all" to a
message which was also Cc'd to one of your users.  This would show up as
an unknown message ID.  Of course,to remedy this, you could also keep
track of incoming message IDs.

That would make the wrong decision in the following scenario:

  A sends message to B
  B replies to A and also adds C to the "CC" list
  (as B thinks that C should be involved in the conversation)

In this case C would receive a "reply" to a message that she's never seen before, but is a legitimate communication.

This scenario may seem contrived but I've seen it happen around me with some regularity (both as a recipient & creator).

And then there's the case where somebody forwards to you a reply that they got so you get a message "Re: blah de blah (fwd)"

#include <std_disclaimer.h>