Den ons 22 maj 2024 kl 13:27 skrev Bo Berglund <bo.bergl...@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, 22 May 2024 12:05:25 +0200, Bo Berglund <bo.bergl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Subversion 1.14.0+
> >  $ svn --version
> >  svn, version 1.13.0 (r1867053)
> >  Oops! My Ubuntu 20.04 LTS has only svn 1.13.0 !!
> >
> >How can I fix that svn problem?
> >
> >$ apt policy svn
> >svn:
> >  Installed: (none)
> >  Candidate: (none)
> >
> >Seems like svn was *not* installed via apt at all...
> >I have used it on this machine for many years and it should not be at 1.13
> >unless "something" updated it.
> >
> >$ which svn
> >/usr/bin/svn
> >
> >What/who put it there?
> >Apache?
>
> SORRY!
>
> I made an error here, I'm so used to typing binary's name svn that I
> forgot to
> use the true package name with apt:
>
> $ apt policy subversion
> subversion:
>   Installed: 1.13.0-3ubuntu0.2
>   Candidate: 1.13.0-3ubuntu0.2
>
> So it seems like subversion has been stuck at this revision on Ubuntu
> 20.04 LTS!
>
> If I test on another device running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (this is a desktop
> system):
>
> $ apt policy subversion
> subversion:
>   Installed: 1.14.1-3ubuntu0.22.04.1
>   Candidate: 1.14.1-3ubuntu0.22.04.1
>
> Question:
>
> Is it possible to upgrade subversion from the apt installed version which
> is
> locked to the distribution level to a more recent version available on
> 22.04 or
> even 24.04?

That is more a question for a Ubuntu forum. I think there is a backport
repository available for Ubuntu but I don't know if it carries Subversion
1.14.1 (for 20.04). I would assume you can't take packages from newer
Ubuntu releases - in that case you are probably better off by upgrading to
that version..

If you can't find a binary package you can maybe build Subversion yourself.
In that case make sure to build the Python bindings for Python 3.

Kind regards,
Daniel
  • GUI i... Bo Berglund
    • ... Daniel Sahlberg
      • ... Bo Berglund
        • ... Bo Berglund
          • ... Daniel Sahlberg
        • ... Yasuhito FUTATSUKI
          • ... Sean McBride
            • ... Williams, James P. {Jim} (JSC-CD4)[KBR Wyle Services, LLC] via users
              • ... Yasuhito FUTATSUKI
                • ... Johan Corveleyn
                • ... Mark Phippard
                • ... Johan Corveleyn