Neil,

When you use mod_jk you don't configure shm file (JK2 has a special
configuration for shm file on worker2.properties).
In my case, while TomCat/Apache are active, there is a shm.file on
apache log directory.

Check you config files to see if there is any reference to shm or to
"var/www/tomcat/ROOT" (is the first "/" be missing?)