If you have lots of static html pages then apache is much better at
handling them. For other dynamic content like .jsp tomcat has to handle
the requests. So thats why you would have apache + the mod_jk connector.
If all your files are jsp and you don't need static page serving or other
features of Apache, then you can run tomcat stand-alone.

for testing load you can use Jmeter

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/index.html

Alex Jalali
I(2) Drive Team!