On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 17:25 -0700, James Lampert wrote:
> Tim:
> > This is normally in <TC_HOME>/lib/catalina.jar.
> >      A. Does it exist there?
> >      B. Does the user the process is running as have permission to
> read
> >         that file and directory?
> >      C. If yes to A & B, is the file corrupt?
>
> /wintouch/tomcat/lib/catalina.jar exists. I had to FTP it elsewhere
> check its validity, but it seems valid. And the authorities for it
> look
> exactly the same as those for /wintouch/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar.
>
> Rainer:
>
> > - if catalina.jar is not in /wintouch/tomcat/lib or it is not
> readable
> >
> > - if catalina.properties is not in /wintouch/tomcat/conf, or it is
> not readable, or the entries for the server.loader or common.loader
> are broken
> >
> > - the start scripts do not set -Dcatalina.base=/wintouch/tomcat/ and
> -Dcatalina.home=/wintouch/tomcat/ when starting the JVM
> >
> > - you are changing the place of the used properties file by giving a
> non-default value in the system property -Dcatalina.config during
> startup.
>
> Everything looks like it's in the right place, undamaged, and without
> authority issues.

Perhaps the IBM JDK6 has some bugs running on V5R4?

Some other things you might do to shed more light on this:

- Add these lines to the end of conf/logging.properties:

        org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.level = ALL
        org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.level = ALL

        Then stop/start Tomcat.  You should see a log entry like:
          location X is file:/wintouch/tomcat/lib/catalina.jar

- If you do see an entry as above try compiling and running the
following from /wintouch/tomcat which tests finding a class:

import java.io.File;
import java.net.URL;
import java.net.URLClassLoader;

public class FindClass {
                try {
                        URLClassLoader loader = new URLClassLoader(
                                new URL[] {new
File("/wintouch/tomcat/lib/catalina.jar").toURI().toURL()});
                        loader.loadClass(args[0]);
                        System.out.println("URLClassLoader found class '"
+args[0] +"'");
                }
                catch (Exception e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }
        }
}
      * Save this to FindClass.java in /wintouch/tomcat
      * Compile it: javac FindClass.java (or compile on another machine
        and copy the resulting .class file)
  * Run it: java -cp . FindClass org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina

If this fails then my guess would be that there's a JDK6 problem on V5R4
or there's a problem with your catalina.jar.  If it succeeds then some
Tomcat file(s) aren't as correct and/or authorized as you think they are
-- or you're leaving out some other important factor.