On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 09:26 -0700, James Lampert wrote:
> I have just wiped the Tomcat installation on the V5R4 box in question,
> and done a clean install of 7.0.25.
>
> No change in its behavior.
>
> I tried a modified version of our standard Tomcat-launch CL program,
> that adds a CATALINA_OPTS environment variable, with a value of
> "-verbose:class" (excerpt from CL program below):
>
> > ADDENVVAR  ENVVAR(CATALINA_HOME) +
> >              VALUE('/wintouch/tomcat') REPLACE(*YES)
> > ADDENVVAR  ENVVAR(CATALINA_OPTS) +
> >              VALUE('-verbose:class') REPLACE(*YES)

Did this have any effect?  catalina.out should have a lot of messages
like "[Loaded <class.name> from <source>]"

> > ADDENVVAR  ENVVAR(JAVA_OPTS) +
> >              VALUE('-Dos400.awt.native=true +
> >              -Djava.awt.headless=true +
> >              -Djava.version=1.6 -Xms256m -Xmx512m') +
> >              REPLACE(*YES)
> >
> > SBMJOB     CMD(QSH +
> >              CMD('/wintouch/tomcat/bin/startup.sh')) +
> >              JOB(CATALINA) JOBD(WINTOUCH/WTSRVC) +
> >              INLLIBL(QGPL QTEMP) CPYENVVAR(*YES) +
> >              ALWMLTTHD(*YES)
>
> (ADDENVVAR being the CL command to set an environment variable, SBMJOB
> to submit a batch job, and QSH to launch QShell, and the CPYENVVAR
> parameter telling SBMJOB to pass the environment variables from the
> submitting job to the submitted job. Placing the environment variables
> in the CL program that launches Tomcat, rather than in catalina.sh or
> setenv.sh, allows us to avoid having to either roll our own version of
> the Tomcat ZIP file, or manually install the environment variables,
> every time we install (or update) Tomcat.)

Bear with me, I'm not proficient in AS/400:  Is it possible to open an
interactive QShell and try to start Tomcat that way?

> The STDOUT spool file:
> >  /wintouch/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh: 001-0019 Error found searching for
> > command tty. No such path or directory.
> >  Using CATALINA_BASE:   /wintouch/tomcat
> >
> >  Using CATALINA_HOME:   /wintouch/tomcat
> >
> >  Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /wintouch/tomcat/temp
> >
> >  Using JRE_HOME:        /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit
> >
> >  Using CLASSPATH:
> > /wintouch/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/wintouch/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
> >
> tells me that it's at least getting to the point in catalina.sh where it
> spits out selected environment variables,

There's never been any doubt about that right?  You wouldn't be getting
the ClassNotFoundException otherwise.

> and that it's getting the
> environment variables we set in the CL program.

Maybe.  But that's neither here nor there.