On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 13:34 -0700, James Lampert wrote:
> Tim Watts wrote:
>
> > import java.io.File;
> > import java.net.URL;
> > import java.net.URLClassLoader;
> >
> > public class FindClass {
> >         public static void main(String[] args) {
> >                 try {
> >                         URLClassLoader loader = new URLClassLoader(
> >                                 new URL[] {new
> > File("/wintouch/tomcat/lib/catalina.jar").toURI().toURL()});
> >                         loader.loadClass(args[0]);
> >                         System.out.println("URLClassLoader found class '"
> > +args[0] +"'");
> >                 }
> >                 catch (Exception e) {
> >                         e.printStackTrace();
> >                 }
> >         }
> > }
>
> I tried it. I'm surprised I was able to get it to compile and run on
> only the second try (the first try, I had left the stream file editor in
> the default EBCDIC codepage when I pasted in your source, which JAVAC,
> not surprisingly, didn't like at all).
>
> At any rate, I get:
>
> > java FindClass org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
> > URLClassLoader found class 'org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina'

OK, so the JVM classloader seems to work.  This is basically identical
to the one used by the bootstrapper.  Which suggests that some/all of
the Tomcat config files are messed up.  Again, are these in EBCDIC or
ASCII?  I presume the unix environment on AS/400 wants ASCII files
generally -- or at least the java stuff does?  And you're sure that's
what you're providing?  You can take a hex dump of, say,
conf/catalina.properties and confirm that?  This would be important to
know.

> And so far as I can determine without doing a clean install of Tomcat,
> nothing is customized at all, at this point, other than maybe setting
> port numbers (which it isn't even getting to, yet), and adding your
> diagnostic lines in logging.properties.
>
> Paul Holm, on the Midrange.com Java list, suggested turning on verbose
> mode on Java; I'm not entirely sure how I would even do that for Tomcat.

He probably means -verbose:class .  You could add this to CATALINA_OPTS
or JAVA_OPTS in a bin/setenv.sh script:

        export CATALINA_OPTS="-verbose:class"

It will spit out a lot of data but I don't think that will tell us
anything new at this point.

> What would be the next step?

Don't know how feasible Chris' suggestion would be for you but if you
can boot up a virtual OS such as Linux under AS/400 that might be the
easiest thing to get something working.  Of course, it could also just
be the opening of the next can of worms...

Otherwise, I would go with a clean install.  If you have to let someone
else do the install, download your own copy of the same Tomcat version
and do diffs on bin/*.sh and conf/.  It's hard to offer any useful help
if we don't know what environment we're dealing with.  Also, make sure
no text file conversions occur when unpacking the zip file (e.g. don't
use unzip's -a  option) -- assuming my presumption about the unix env is
correct.