Leon Rosenberg wrote:
Hello Andre,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

Leon,
I apologise for insisting, but your initial post said :
"Background, I want to count sessions by top level domains..."

Yes, but @Runtime. Means that I want to know how many sessions from each
tld are active _now_.

Ok then, right.  But you didn't really specify that in your initial
requirements.

Parsing http log continuously and instantly would be an overkill in my
opinion.

Agreed.

And I don't see a way to see a session expiry in access log ;-)

Ok, I give up. I was just making sure that you did get the correct meaning of my initial suggestion.

..although, when I think about it again :

- under Unix/Linux, there is a command "tail -f <filename>", which continuously watches for any lines added to a file and displays them. It doesn't seem to be very intensive in terms of resources used.
- and on the other hand, you probably have a session expiration timeout.
So you could in theory say that you note the start of a session, and then update this each time there is a new access to that same session. And then periodically, you go through your table and for each session which you haven't seen since some time >= the session timeout, you consider it expired.

At which time of course I don't know if this is any simpler than the solution which you are exploring right now.
;-)