Hello Howard,
the sniffer thing has nothing to do with original topic, I was just
wandering that some requests were having session marked as new, which
actually shouldn't be the case. Or in other word, the naive understanding
of session.isNew method is that it should only return true once. But it did
to it multiple times. The was strange, and christopher and myself were
talking about investigating it further.

Back to your question, filter is ok, too many filters are making stack
traces fuller than needed, and the order of the filter could be a problem.
Listener is asked _before_ anything happens.

regards
Leon