I just tried this in DefaultServlet:

if (contentType.equals("image/svg+xml")
&&  path.toLowerCase().endsWith(".svgz")) {
    response.addHeader("Content-Encoding", "gzip");
}

"Quick & dirty", but Works fine as proof-of-concept.
We just need a DefaultServlet expert to do the "slow & clean" stuff.

I believe a generic solution to be best though, long-term. Something like:

<mime-mapping>
    <extension>svgz</extension>
    <mime-type>image/svg+xml</mime-type>
    <encoding>gzip</encoding>
</mime-mapping>

...with a new Tag, for example: "encoding"

All the best,
DaveLaw