André,

regarding the "Content-Transfer-Encoding" header mentioned in:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/mimereg.html

Content-Transfer-Encoding (CTE) is specified in RFC 2045 (MIME):
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2045

RFC 2616 (HTTP/1.1) states, here "19.4.5 No Content-Transfer-Encoding":
"HTTP does not use the Content-Transfer-Encoding (CTE) field of RFC 2045."

Also, under RFC 2616 (HTTP/1.1) 19.4.4 & 19.4.6 respectively,
Content-Encoding & Transfer-Encoding are introduced.

Transfer-Encoding & Content-Transfer-Encoding are intended
for use in transmission only, so the data will arrive intact.
An example of such would be Base64:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64

I think we were right to choose Content-Encoding.

All the best,
DaveLaw