Hi,

I can also be considered as being a "windows guy", as I worked with Windows as
long as I can think back. The current server versions of Windows (2008, 2012)
appear very stable to me and I normally also work with the GUI on a Server OS
to set it up, so I don't have any problems with it (for Windows Server, there
is also a "Core" edition which doesn't have a Explorer GUI etc. so you can only
use PowerShell or other command lines, but I can't do anything useful with it
so I always install the full (GUI) variant). So, I would say that my impression
is that Windows Server 2012 is a great server OS (at least, if one doesn't
count the licence fees...)   ;-)

(But I think the first really reliable/secure Windows Server OS is Win Server
2008 (with IIS 7 being the first "sane" web server from Microsoft with ASP.Net
support)- e.g. AFAIK Svr 2003 did not have network authentication support and
SSL/TLS support for RDP (remote desktop) which could lead to security problems
if you remotely administer your server).

What I also like on a Windows Server OS is the availablility of the MS
implementation of .Net Framework and the IIS web server (I know there is Mono
for Linux, but as it is not developed form MS I don't know if it is as stable
as the reference implementation for Windows).
My personal impression of C#/.Net is that it could be described as a "better
Java", as I find it to be more flexible and powerful for programming client and
also server applications. For example, the new Async programming model in .Net
4.5 makes it very easy to program scalable async code (which is also possible
in ASP.Net web applications, but there only the old asnyc model is available so
you have to do a few tricks), whereas in Java I find this quite complicated and
depends on the available API (e.g. NIO model in Servlet 3.1). E.g. also for
WebSocket applications in ASP.Net, you have more control over the WebSocket
endpoint than with Java Servlet. This is why I also consider switching from
Java/Tomcat to C# and ASP.Net for programming web applications in the future.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I dislike Linux/Unix OSes, as my
KVM-virtualized Windows Server 2012 runs on a Linux OS by an external hoster,
using the VirtIO drivers from Fedora/Red Hat.

> > Add to that the fact that you have to pay insane license fees, though
> > you would also have to do that I suppose if you used SCO, AIX, etc.
> > Solaris, BSD, and Linux are all free and have entire ecosystems that
> > aren't dominated by the closed-source paradigm.
> >

> Actually, I have found Linux to be 'attractive', since it is 'free' and
> since there is less GUI and more command-line there. I had some exposure
> Linux and Unix in the past, and I fell in love with UNIX just before I
> graduated from college, and it was at that point that I made that
> statement, I can see myself doing this (SPARC machine, Unix OS, and
> keyboard, programming etc...) for the next 5 to 10 years (as a career)...I
> was really in love with the keyboard (most of all, in the computer lab). :)
>
> Instead of downloading Linux and trying it out, on my own, I just decided
> to stay with Windows. it just works (for me). And I usually only need 1 or
> 2 client access licenses (CALs) per server, since I am the primary person
> that remotely access the server. The servers are primarily used as file
> servers, until recently, when I developed my first Java EE web application
> within the last 2 years, so now 1 of the 2 Windows servers are used only as
> a web (app) server.
>

> > I hope things have changed, but everyone I ever knew that ran Windows
> > Server OSs in production had scheduled rolling-reboots of their
> > servers because things just tended to "work" when they did that.
> > Otherwise, stuff would fail with some regularity (like every 3 days).
> > It's not clear to be whether restarting the OS or restarting the
> > application did the trick -- as we all know, most Tomcat problems are
> > actually webapp problems. In all my time working with Linux servers,
> > I've never had to resort to such foolishness, nor has anyone else I
> > have known. I've had servers running for over a year without a reboot.
> > (They usually get a reboot for certain software upgrades, so
> > years-running servers don't really exist... or shouldn't).

I have never experienced on a Windows Server OS that things stopped after a few
days and you had to reboot the server to fix them. Normally, these should be
application errors so you should only have to restart the faulty application to
make it work again.
The only time when I reboot a Windows Server is after installing the Windows
Security updates (which happens regularly once a month).

> I have seen posts on this list about people experiencing issues with
> Windows updates and their tomcat/database not starting or shutting down
> successfully (or as expected)... i do not experience these things...at all.
> Yes, I did send several emails to the tomee list, asking why did my
> tomee/tomcat server restart at night around 3am. I, then, learned it was
> the automatic Windows updates that I configured. So, after I learned that
> it was the automatic updates and that my app shutdown properly and
> restarted automatically (since I configured the tomcat/tomee service to
> start, automatically on/after boot), and no database corruption and no
> errors in the log. My Java EE app and tomcat/tomee shuts down and restarts
> gracefully inspite/through-it all.
>
> I'm definitely one happy tomcat user/camper. I have learned to also ignore
> the IP addresses from China, Vietnam, etc... that attempt to
> access/manipulate my tomcat/tomee server, since the result is usually HTTP
> 400 or HTTP 404. :)
>
> There are still some things that I would like to do and/or learn how to do
> with Tomcat; hoping to do so, when/as necessary.
>

> > - -chris

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer