Howard,

On 1/23/14, 11:31 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. wrote:
> Instead of downloading Linux and trying it out, on my own, I just
> decided to stay with Windows. it just works (for me).

I'm honestly glad to hear that you are having a good experience with it.

Do you manage a lot of machines, or just one or two? Until recently,
the *NIX world didn't have great (maybe just inexpensive/free)
cluster-management utilities like Puppet. I believe Windows had that
capability (e.g. Tivoli) much earlier, though I think it was initially
aimed at administering fleets of workstations, not servers. Extending
that capability to manage servers was probably trivial.

>> I hope things have changed, but everyone I ever knew that ran
>> Windows Server OSs in production had scheduled rolling-reboots of
>> their servers because things just tended to "work" when they did
>> that. Otherwise, stuff would fail with some regularity (like
>> every 3 days). It's not clear to be whether restarting the OS or
>> restarting the application did the trick -- as we all know, most
>> Tomcat problems are actually webapp problems. In all my time
>> working with Linux servers, I've never had to resort to such
>> foolishness, nor has anyone else I have known. I've had servers
>> running for over a year without a reboot. (They usually get a
>> reboot for certain software upgrades, so years-running servers
>> don't really exist... or shouldn't).
>

> I have seen posts on this list about people experiencing issues
> with Windows updates and their tomcat/database not starting or
> shutting down successfully (or as expected)... i do not experience
> these things...at all. Yes, I did send several emails to the tomee
> list, asking why did my tomee/tomcat server restart at night around
> 3am. I, then, learned it was the automatic Windows updates that I
> configured. So, after I learned that it was the automatic updates
> and that my app shutdown properly and restarted automatically
> (since I configured the tomcat/tomee service to start,
> automatically on/after boot), and no database corruption and no
> errors in the log. My Java EE app and tomcat/tomee shuts down and
> restarts gracefully inspite/through-it all.

Great! I wish you the best of luck.