> All,
>
> I'm finding a lot of questions lately posted simultaneously to
> both tomcat-user and to StackOverflow. How does the Tomcat
> community feel about that? I'm wondering whether I (as a member of
> said community) should be encouraging SO users to post here or get
> their answers here or whether its worth it to answer both places or
> what.
>
> Assuming that the user bothers to check both places for an answer,
> it doesn't matter to them whether the answer comes on SO or
> tomcat-user.
>
> On the one hand, SO rewards accepted answers with karma points, so
> that's kinda nice, but I don't really give a crap about that. On
> the other hand, the ASF is about community, and I feel like growing
> the community is an important part of being a member. Additionally,
> I really think that SO is a great site and quite helpful (their
> community has helped me out a number of times) and therefore don't
> want to diminish /their/ community by, for example, refusing to
> answer directly over there.
>
> But it's a pain in the butt to craft an answer on tomcat-user to
> try to help someone and then see the same question later on SO.

Copy and paste?

While something that is effectively cross-posting is annoying for
those us subscribed to this list and who use stack overflow I can
understand folks wanting to seek help from a range of different places.

SO is meant to be about programming so one thing you can do is vote to
close /flag non-programming questions on SO. Granted, they might just
move to server fault but I doubt it.

There was talk a while ago of trying to create some form of link
between SO and Apache user lists but there isn't an easy mapping
available.

Overall, I think we just have to live with it.

Mark