Mark,

On 4/2/14, 4:30 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
> Chris,
>
> On 4/2/2014 1:05 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>> Chuck,

>>> This is an indication that your webapp is not managing its
>>> threads properly.

>>> This is sometimes caused by incorrect timestamps on the bits of
>>> the webapp that Tomcat monitors, or an incorrect clock setting
>>> on the system Tomcat is running on.  The mismatch makes it
>>> appear that the webapp is being updated continuously.
>>
>> I've found that in development, a single update can cause Tomcat
>> to go into a loop of redeployments, re-deploying my web
>> application every few seconds or so. If I let it go, it does
>> finally stop reloading and settle down.
>>

> Can you describe your development environment a little bit, and
> any thoughts as to what might trigger this loop of redeployments?

I use Eclipse for development, but our "real" build process is
ant-based. We have some watched resources configured outside the
default (stuff like Struts config files, etc.).

When I do a build while Tomcat is running, usually I get one webapp
reload, but sometimes I get a series of reloads. It usually gets so
irritating (our webapp takes about 10 seconds to reload) that I just
kill Tomcat and immediately restart it. It starts up once and all is
well after that.

> I've not seen this, but it could explain some issues some the
> developers I support are seeing.

It definitely happens, and I never remember to enable the DEBUG
logging to find out what resource it thinks has been updated until
after it happens, at which point I just don't care. Perhaps I should
enable it right now :)