Vince,

On 11/3/2014 1:12 PM, vince.w...@thomsonreuters.com wrote:
> Neven Even Tomcat newbies have to do real work that will find its
> way to a real server.
>
> Either of the benefits you described as a) and b) mean
> CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE need to be separate on a real
> server.
>
> I would rather get it straight from the outset rather than mess
> about with a configuration that is going nowhere.
>
> NetBeans separates out CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE, either
> automatically making its own decisions about the content of
> CATALINA_BASE or manually by allowing you to specify your own hand
> crafted directory.

Actually, at least in recent versions of NetBeans this is not the
default case.

The default case is to use CATALINA_HOME and let NetBeans completely
control the Tomcat instance.

This is the way I normally run NetBeans on my development systems. I
rarely use CATALINA_BASE in development, since I just add all of the
extra jars to $CATALINA_HOME/lib.

> I just made the switch from letting NetBeans populate
> CATALINA_BASE, to doing it myself. Naturally I want to avoid having
> the same files appear in both directories so I went for minimal
> content.

This is only true if you select the check box in the server creation
wizard that is labeled "Use Private Configuration Folder (Catalina Base)".

In short, NetBeans follows the instructions set down in RUNNING.txt.
This is one of the reasons I like NetBeans over other development
environments.

> How much easier it would be if the Tomcat distribution had the
> correct separation build in.

IMHO, I think the way Tomcat currently does it is optimal. Keep it
simple for those people who want to just unpack and go, while making
it relatively easy for those people who want more flexibility.

> Vince

For a development environment, I just typically unpack Tomcat
somewhere, edit tomcat-users.xml, point NetBeans to it, and go.

Typically, a development environment can contain all of the extra JARs
required for development.

This of course means a slightly slower Tomcat start up.

If the start up times are onerous, then you can go ahead and use
CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE in NetBeans quite easily. It's the
same as setting things up in production, with the exception that
NetBeans populates CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE based on the values
you entered in the wizard (no environment variables to set).

1. Set up an unaltered Tomcat in one directory
2. Create a duplicate directory structure somewhere else - to whit:

   CATALINA_BASE-+
                 +-bin
                 +-conf
                 +-lib
                 +-logs
                 +-temp
                 +-webapps
                 +-work

3. Copy tomcat-juli.jar from CATALINA_HOME/bin to CATALINA_BASE/bin
4. Copy all of the stuff from CATALINA_HOME/conf to CATALINA_BASE/conf
5. Edit CATALINA_BASE/conf/server.xml
   a. change the Server port
   b. change HTTP/1.1 connector port
   c. change the HTTPS connector port or comment it out
   d. change the AJP connector port or comment it out
6. Edit tomcat-users.xml
7. Copy over the manager application
   a. Copy over the application from CATALINA_HOME/webapps - OR -
   b. Create a manager.xml in CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/[hostname]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>