On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Neven,
>
> On 11/3/14 6:42 PM, Neven Cvetkovic wrote:
> > Vince, the current configuration works great:
> >
> > SLIGHTLY-OFFTOPIC:
> >
> > Although, I would love to see out-of-box setup for additional
> > shared-lib folder, something other than TOMCAT/lib with Tomcat
> > default libraries. Essentially, I would love to separate my
> > customer shared libraries from Tomcat default libraries. I guess -
> > question would be where are CATALINA_HOME/lib JAR files being
> > loaded from? Can we add another directory to scan for libraries to
> > be loaded? Is that configurable?
>
> I'm not sure about that, but if the Windows installer could ask the
> user if they want a "unified" versus "split" configuration, that might
> be nice. The installer could then ask for the location of
> CATALINA_BASE and offer to create it if necessary. That way, users
> performing "upgrades" could specify their existing CATALINA_BASE
> during installation and not have to go back and re-configure the
> Windows Service. It would also allow newbies to know that there is an
> "advanced" configuration and perhaps go learn about it.
>
> - -chris

The Tomcat zip file distribution could easily do this now. Add a
CATALINA_BASE directory pre-configured with a read-me file that explains to
users they can move this directory elsewhere, and update a property that
points back to the CATALINA_HOME directory wherever they unzipped that.
This would be an easy "optional" configuration to include for a split
configuration.