On 4/9/2015 12:18 PM, George Sexton wrote:

> On 4/9/2015 1:10 PM, David kerber wrote:
>> You can argue about whether it's smart to map servlets into
>> .html, but
>>> again my reading of the spec is that unequivocally, if the
>>> request path matches a deployed context, the request must be
>>> routed to the context/container.
>>
>> Then your reading is incorrect.  The spec only applies to
>> requests that reach the container in the first place.  If
>> something else handles it before it reaches the container, the
>> spec is not applicable.
>>

> Allow me to re-quote the spec:
>
> A ServletContext is rooted at a known path within a Web server. For

And the line above clearly states "Web server". Now the next question
is, what is a "Web server"?

- From a browser's point of view, that's whatever serves up a URL that
select.

- From a systems point of view, that can be:

1. a paired hardware load balancer that handles SSL
   plus
2. a group of Apache web servers that handles PHP, Perl, etc.
   plus
3. A collection of Tomcat servlet containers for JSP / Servlets, etc.
   plus
4. A database farm

- From a component point of view, that can be:

1. hardware load balancers
2. multiple Apache HTTPD servers
3. possible authentication / authorization servers
4. multiple Apache Tomcat servers
5. multiple database servers (SQL, noSQL, etc.)

- From my reading, the specification only applies to item 4 in the
components view.

Other than that, it's up to the systems architect to get it right.

> example, a servlet context could be located at
> http://www.mycorp.com/catalog. All requests that begin with the
> /catalog request path, known as the context path, are routed to
> the Web application associated with the ServletContext.
>
> The spec explicitly includes the phrase "known path within a web
> server" and it explicitly also states "All requests that begin
> with the /catalog request path, known as the context path, are
> routed to the Web application associated with the ServletContext."
>
> I don't see any conditionals that would allow violation of this.
> Arguing otherwise is really not supported by the language.
>

>>> There are a lot of legitimate reasons to map "static"
>>> resources into servlets. Things like images, graphs, CSS files,
>>> Javascript files, etc.
>>
>> Certainly, and that's what I do.  But it's for convenience and
>> ease of configuration, not because it's what the spec requires.
>> Other people have other needs...

. . . just my two cents
/mde/

---