George,

On 4/9/15 10:52 AM, George Sexton wrote:
On 4/8/2015 6:15 PM, Leggio, Andrew wrote:
This contains both HTML and JSP.  I would like the HTML to be
handled through Apache and JSP pages to be handled by TOMCAT.
How do I accomplish this?
Just my two cents, but any server that works the way you want is
not compliant with the servlet specification. It states that all
requests for a context must be passed to the container.
??

The servlet spec doesn't apply to environments, only containers. If
the OP wants to have Apache httpd serve static files and proxy dynamic
requests, that's perfectly reasonable.

It's also easy to do.

What you're suggesting is what GoDaddy does. The problem is that if
you map requests for things like css, javascript, or even ".html"
pages to a servlet, then it breaks.

Bad idea.
?

Why would a servlet have a problem handling a request for a .html
file? The DefaultServlet was designed with that explicit purpose in mind

What I'm saying is that having httpd handle request for .html and everything else handled by the servlet container violates section 4.1 of Java Servlet Specification 3.0.

The issue is not the servlet handling the request for .html. The issue is that if the deployment descriptor has an explicit mapping for /context/foo.html, and the web app is never presented with the request because it's being done at the higher level of Apache httpd, then it breaks the web app. httpd is given the request for /context/foo.html, and there is no corresponding file, and the web app is broken.

You can argue about whether it's smart to map servlets into .html, but again my reading of the spec is that unequivocally, if the request path matches a deployed context, the request must be routed to the context/container.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons to map "static" resources into servlets. Things like images, graphs, CSS files, Javascript files, etc.

.

George Sexton
*MH Software, Inc.*
Voice: 303 438 9585