This is getting dated but is still somewhat accurate: http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/connectors.html#integrate

The latest versions of Tomcat are comparable to apache in delivering static content. But in reality - unless your site is very high traffic - this is not an issue. Its ([expensive dynamic content] + [high concurrency]) which will hurt your scalability.

For security, apache is more likely to be attacked than tomcat since it has a wider usage base. (Notice how windows/IE is attacked alot, mac attacks are coming, Linux attacks are already here, ...) Because of the higher threat to apache - there are more resources dedictated to looking for apache vulnerabilities and media outlets are more inclined to make apache vulnerablities front page news. (I'm not saying this is right, its just the world we live in). In a good apache + tomcat installation, only apache is publicly available to the internet. Tomcat is only accessable by an internal network AND apache. This should make tomcat very secure since the only attacks it can receive are via apache or an internal network. (But there have been attacks against apache and other servers which act as proxies by using HTTP response splitting)

Personally - I like having apache in front of tomcat because I find it easier to do CGI, static content directory aliasing, and the volume of available modules to be very convenient. It also allows my site to be up with a higher uptime since I can restart / replace a tomcat and in those periods of downtime - I can reconfigure apache to have an outage message.

YMMV

-Tim

Danny Lee wrote:
Hi guys!

I wondering if it's really so good to use Tomcat behind "a real" web server like Apache or IIS.

In my Tomcat 5 book there are two reasons to do it so:

1. Tomcat is not as secure as common web servers, especially if you want to use CGI and SSI (I don't think I want to)

2. Tomcat is slow delivering static content.

Well, as long it's just planned to use only 1 server for my application,
I don't think the both points are true for me. On the Tomcat site there's a note about performance:

"When using a single server, the performance when using a native webserver in front of the Tomcat instance is most of the time significantly worse than a standalone Tomcat with its default HTTP connector, even if a large part of the web application is made of static files"

And security... what about security? Why is Tomcat behind of Apache
more secure then without it, especially (as I said) if both are running
on the same server.