On 28/05/2015 09:59, André Warnier wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 28/05/2015 08:26, Vijay Kumar wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to pass OS username when making connection to any
>>> Database
>>> from Tomcat context.xml?
>>
>> In theory this should be possible if you are using SPNEGO authentication.
>>
>> Testing this to figure out what is required to make it work is on the
>> TODO list. It is likely that some combination of configuration, Tomcat
>> code changes and application changes will be required.
>>

> I think that the term "OS username" should be carefully defined here,
> along with the precise circumstances in which this would apply.

Agreed. My definition is "user authenticated via SPNEGO"

> Also, connecting to a database using the user-id kind of defeats any
> kind of db connection persistence/pooling/sharing at the container level.

You can have per user pools. Depending on the app and the usage pattern
of the DB there can still be some benefits.

> If this kind of thing is desired anyway, should it then not be done at
> the application level, where you can retrieve the UserPrincipal anyway ?

There are certainly different approaches available to solve this
problem. The best approach depends on the actual requirement. I've used
a range of approaches to this type of problem in the past.

Mark