"Ok, may be you are ahead of me on this one, but setEnabledProtocols(), to
my understanding does the same as the system property
"jdk.tls.client.protocols". It gives the JSSE a pool of protocols to choose
from but it will be up to JSSE to select the ClientHello version. I might
have missed something but I spent quite a bit of time in the Handshaker and
related classes in the JDK and couldn't see anything that can change
that..."

Sorry, but I believe that no. To understand, you need to look to the old
Ref Guide (
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/security/jsse/JSSERefGuide.html#InstallationAndCustomization
) which in "Annex A" says that you context.getInstance() takes one argument
called "protocol" while sslsocket.setEnabledProtocols() takes a list of
protocols including the SSLv2Hello.
If you are about to write a TLS client using a SSLv2Hello, you will call
getInstance("TLS") and setEnabledProtocols("SSLv2").

I hope things are more understandable :)