>> It might be doable with OpenSSL s_client or something. Tough to replicate
>> Java's behavior with a non-Java tool, though.

I tried hard with the s_client but it can limit the protocols to one or another
but it canot mix-and-match (hello 1.2, ok we will do 1.0) like Java 8 does.
Either TLSv1 or TLSv1.2 but not both. Neither can curl which is also on top of
openssl.

Today, I spent 2.5 hours with a lemming from MS getting basically nowhere. I
really need an engineer, but they give me those clueless support people that is
wasting mine and their time. If someone knows how to escalate or a forum where
MS developers hang out, I would appreciate it. The support person I got today
was clueless, went over a script and any attempt to explain a little more
technical details led to total confusion and rebooting the script to beginning.
Totally frustrating. At least with Oracle I got to talk with an actual
engineer...

George