Dave,

> The requirement for HTTPS is only a recent requirement and the application is
> now heavily dependent on Java 8. At this point I don’t know just how old a
> version of Tomcat I would need to make it work and I would have to make
> significant changes to the code in order to make it Java 6/7 compliant.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion though.
>
> Dave
>
> > On 4 Oct 2016, at 08:48, André Warnier (tomcat) <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 04.10.2016 09:38, Garratt, Dave wrote:
> >> I have Apache Tomcat 8 working ok with https when I connect to my web page
> >> using a recent browser (desktop) or iPhone for example. However this
> >> specific application is designed to run on a Motorola MC9090 hand held
> >> wireless barcode scanner running a relatively old version of Windows
> >> Mobile. The browser on that device can only load the HTTP page and not the
> >> HTTPS page, giving a unable to open page message. Speaking to a “expert”
> >> on these scanners the consensus of opinion is that the type of encryption
> >> used by Apache Tomcat 8 is more up to date than the mobile devices browser
> >> can support. As it does not appear likely that the mobile devices are
> >> going to be updated any time soon I was wondering if its possible to force
> >> Tomcat to accept deprecated protocols rather than be forced to revert to
> >> plain HTTP.
> >>
> >> Any ideas or ideally an example of how this might look in a config file
> >> would be most appreciated.
> >>

> > Naive question : if you are dealing anyway with old devices that cannot be
> > replaced by new devices, then why do you not just keep using the
> > correspondingly old version of tomcat and of the JVM ?

In my opinion weakening the security of the majority of users (there are
seemingly others) is a pretty bad thing to do. My suggestion would be a
different connector on a separate port for the handhelds. Configure this either
on HTTP or a specific supported SSL protocol and ciphers. It would probably
mean to reconfigure the handhelds, to add a hole into the firewall for the new
port, but that could be restricted to the location/subnet of the handhelds.
You will need to get an exemption from the https-requirement for the handhelds
anyways, so that may be a way to get a compensating control.

Best regards

Peter