Am 04.10.2016 um 11:23 schrieb Kreuser, Peter:
> In my opinion weakening the security of the majority of users (there are
> seemingly others) is a pretty bad thing to do. My suggestion would be a
> different connector on a separate port for the handhelds. Configure this
> either on HTTP or a specific supported SSL protocol and ciphers. It would
> probably mean to reconfigure the handhelds, to add a hole into the firewall
> for the new port, but that could be restricted to the location/subnet of the
> handhelds.
> You will need to get an exemption from the https-requirement for the
> handhelds anyways, so that may be a way to get a compensating control.

Given the situation described, I'd opt for adding an Apache httpd (or
equivalent webserver of your choice) to the game to handle encryption.
As Peter suggests, preferably on a different host/port/firewalled
section. Given that OpenSSL/mod_ssl come with the kitchensink of
algorithms, it should be straightforward to configure the best algorithm
that the barcode scanners support.

This way you can continue to run tomcat8 in a non-weakened configuration
and totally ignore encryption on that end.

Personally I prefer this setup anyway: My tomcat installations never
deal with https, it's always a frontend-webserver. If only because
mod_rewrite has helped me quickfix an issue in seconds instead of hours.
And on my installations there's typically no need to encrypt the
Apache->tomcat traffic (on small installations: because it's localhost
traffic to begin)

Sooner or later OP should push for updates to the barcode scanners -
especially if HTTPS is mandatory. The old algorithms are deprecated for
a reason and won't protect the data in transit as you expect when just
seeing https:// on a URL. And the older Windows desktop&server versions
do not support the newer algorithms. I'm expecting the same for Windows
Mobile.

And I can't go without ranting: When "only" HTTPS is a requirement, not
"data protection according to the latest findings": There's a NULL
cipher that you could select. It's disabled by default for obvious
reasons, but it does exactly what you'd expect: Talk https without
encrypting or signing any of the traffic. ;) (Of course: Use this only
to question the requirements: If customer wants *proper* encryption
instead of bandaid, the barcode scanners will need to be *up*graded to
support proper encryption, rather than the server to be *down*graded)

Olaf