Hi,

We run JFrog Artifactory which is fronted by Tomcat 8.0.32. We recently
upgraded from Tomcat 7.0.56. Since the upgrade, Artifactory occasionally slows
to a crawl.

We could reproduce this problem by downloading a large (1GB) file concurrently
from 500 different machines. However, to avoid exceeding the network bandwidth,
we throttled the downloads at 100KB per second. While these 500 requests were
being processed, we sent a request to download a smaller file (1MB, no
throttling). The smaller download successfully went through several times, then
got “stuck”. The download speed was reduced to a few KB per second.

We couldn’t reproduce this problem on 7.0.56. We kept 8.0.32 but changed the
connector to BIO and couldn’t reproduce it either. We suspect that it has
something to do with switching from BIO in 7.0.56 to NIO in 8.0.32.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

Server.xml, a thread dump and Catalina MBean values are attached. Tomcat
version:

Server version: Apache Tomcat/8.0.32
Server built:   Feb 2 2016 19:34:53 UTC
Server number:  8.0.32.0