Thuc,

On 8/31/17 11:25 AM, Thuc Nguyen wrote:
> We run JFrog Artifactory which is fronted by Tomcat 8.0.32. We
> recently upgraded from Tomcat 7.0.56. Since the upgrade,
> Artifactory occasionally slows to a crawl.

Any chance of using the latest Tomcat 8.0.46?

> We could reproduce this problem by downloading a large (1GB) file
> concurrently from 500 different machines. However, to avoid
> exceeding the network bandwidth, we throttled the downloads at
> 100KB per second.

You throttled the clients?

> While these 500 requests were being processed, we sent a request
> to download a smaller file (1MB, no throttling). The smaller
> download successfully went through several times, then got “stuck”.
> The download speed was reduced to a few KB per second.

Over all connections, or just the single "small" requests? Was is
stuck permanently? Meaning, if it got "stuck" one time (timed out?),
would any later requests succeed?

> We couldn’t reproduce this problem on 7.0.56. We kept 8.0.32 but
> changed the connector to BIO and couldn’t reproduce it either. We
> suspect that it has something to do with switching from BIO in
> 7.0.56 to NIO in 8.0.32.

It's possible, but you are using a fairly old version of Tomcat (~18
months).

> Has anyone run into this problem before?
>
> Server.xml, a thread dump and Catalina MBean values are attached.
> Tomcat version:

Can you please post your <Connector> configuration from server.xml?