More troubleshooting revealed that our root context xml had been copied from
another installation and had a wrong path in it.  However, I don't think this
was the problem since it was only a path to a Log4J config.  We re-installed
Tomcat from scratch and it seems to have resolved it, but this is not good.
Why is Tomcat caching webapps?

Also determined that Tomcat was not shutting down properly.  Our installation
is deployed as a Windows Service.  Stopping the service did not stop Tomcat.
But the Service Console thinks it did stop, so when you restart it, another
instance of Tomcat starts.  We are using a Java Service Wrapper if that makes
any difference.

Also found another problem.  The "-XX:+DisableAttachMechanism" JVM option does
not work with Tomcat.  This is a security flaw.

Thanks.
Ken

Disclaimer: This email from DMBGroup LLC, DMB Consulting Services LLC, or the
personnel associated with either entity (collectively "DMB") and attachments,
contain CONFIDENTIAL, PRIVILEGED AND PROPRIETARY information for exclusive use
of the addressee individual(s) or entity. Unauthorized viewing, copying,
disclosure, distribution or use of this e-mail or attachments may be subject to
legal restriction or sanction. If received in error, notify sender immediately
by return e-mail and delete original message and attachments. Nothing contained
in this e-mail or attachments shall satisfy the requirements for a writing
unless specifically stated. Nothing contained herein shall constitute a
contract or electronic signature under the Electronic Signatures in Global and
National Commerce Act, any version of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act
or any other statute governing electronic transactions. Opinions and statements
expressed in this e-mail and any attachments are those of the individual sender
and not necessarily of DMB. DMB does not guarantee this e-mail transmission is
secured, error or virus-free. Neither DMB nor the sender of this e-mail accepts
liability for errors or omissions in the contents of this e-mail, which arise
as a result of e-mail transmission. .