Hi Mark,

> Are you connecting from a machine that isn't part of the Windows AD?
I have tried both from PCs connected to AD and from PCs not connected to AD.

> Normally, I'd expect authentication to work without any password prompt.
If I connect from PC AD I am not asked for credentials (correct). If I
connect from a non-AD PC I am prompted for credentials (correctly).
The credential check is done correctly by IIS.

> Are any other authentication mechanisms enabled?
For virtual directory "s2wweb" only "Windows Authentication" is
enabled ("Anonymous Authentication" is disabled). For site "test" is
enabled "Anonymous Authentication".

> Are your two test machines (working and not working) connecting to the
> same Tomcat instance (and on the same port)?
Yes.
Current IIS server needs to be migrated to a new IIS server. The
current server (Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS 6.1) is connected to
the same Tomcat server (another Windows Server 2008 R2 with Tomcat
7.0) on the same port (8009).

Thank you very much,
Paolo