John,

On 10/27/22 11:03, John Dale (DB2DOM) wrote:
Does anyone know of a report detailing how much of this older hardware
is still out there and floating around?

You mean like a list of all pieced of hardware ever sold and never scrapped?

I think that would be practically impossible.

I have a Palm 7 on a box in my office that has never been inventoried by anybody and could possibly be plugged back in at any moment. There are probably warehouses of stuff like what worldwide and you never know when someone is going to plug-in any one of those devices and start playing with it again.

Big picture:
It's a lot of computer power in the event manufacturing hits a hiccup,
I wouldn't want to be caught flat-footed until it could be
re-established.

Are you suggesting that Linux should not drop support for i486 architecture because if new machines aren't available due to supply-chain issues, we might all have to re-rack 486s to keep our services running? That sounds insane. We would simply do without. I'd sooner put my old mobile phones into service supporting my applications than an old i486. They are more powerful and reliable, and use less electricity.

There's a reason Linus wants to kill i486 support:

"At some point, people have them as museum pieces. They might as well run museum kernels." - Linus Torvalds

I like to build distilled portable stuff for that reason.  I think
DB2DOM could run on some really old versions of all of our favorite
software if needed.
Great. I'm sure the transactions will only take a couple of seconds to commit. No problem ;)

-chris