Am 02.11.22 um 17:41 schrieb John Dale (DB2DOM):
Chris enters the room, gazes upon seven orcs, draws his sword, and
opens the can of worms.

Ooooh .. Philosophy.

I love philosophy.

:)

Good philosophy starts with good questions.

I love some of the newer hardware, too, but even Raspberry Pi is not
yet 64 bit, is it?
Raspberry Pi is 64 Bit, (maybe not all of them), I am running an 64 Bit OS on an Raspberry Pi 4.
The dell computer that I'm working with at the moment is my case study
- it's not slow at all.

If it's fast enough and reliable enough for you, I think you can still go (for a long time) with an JDK 8 and Tomcat 9.x. If I remember right, we settled to support Tomcat 9.x for quite a while and Tomcat has no requirements of its own to use 64 Bit.

Felix

Am I alone in thinking that our technology is trying to leave humanity
behind before it is truly not useful anymore?

Unlike HAM radio operators, are you one of those crazy people who
think we're somehow safe from disaster on planet Earth?

I think this universe has much more in store for us.  I also like to
wring out every last bit of use from stuff.  I also grind old
screwdrivers that are "worn-out".

I'll feel more comfortable when our high school grads understand EcE
and computer manufacturing upon graduation.

If we need faster computers to replace humans, what's the point?

Video games?  Meta?  AI?

What about baseball, Frisbee, stage productions, and Human Intelligence?

Can an old 32 bit machine do modern encryption for telecommunications?

Why are we still paying so much for phone service?

Why aren't our high school grads capable of re-soldering components
from these old boards and assembling them into something better and
rewriting the software?

So, I think it's a worthwhile discussion that I know many thought was
settled as they gaze across fully stocked Wal Mart computer
departments and newegg query results.

If for no other reason, shouldn't we pry the specs out of the hands of
Dell and others to understand and reconfigure and reprogam their
machines?  Or, are they afraid of what we'll discover?

My working hypothesis is that if we remove what was put in there to do
things we don't know about, these machines will speed-up considerably.

:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_chip