On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 20:24 +0100, Leon Rosenberg wrote:

> Sorry, I don't buy it.

You don't have to. This is open source and about choice. Given all of
Tomcat's dependencies at compile time and runtime. If you want to stick
with older versions of stuff. That's totally up to you. But I would say
almost for a fact, that most all of Tomcat's deps, and bundled stuff are
at least one minor version beyond where they were when the binary was
made. If I had time I would provide a list :)

> I think you would spare your users tons of problems if you would just
> re-distribute the binaries from tomcat.apache.org and not mess around
> with things.

First off we have lots of people running Tomcat on Gentoo. You have
heard only from one, trying to get to that point. So support is not as
much of an issue. For quite many things are ideal.

But if anyone knows of a better way. Gentoo is a volunteer distro. Once
your in the trenches for a bit, you might change your thoughts ;)

Also I don't like having multiple copies of the same jars or libraries
on my system. Maybe you do, again it's choice. The way we do things most
systems will only have one copy of a lib that Tomcat might use. Netbeans
also might use it, as well as other apps. Upgrade for one is an upgrade
for all :)

>  Noone who runs tomcat for professional reasons can allow
> the os to do atomatic updates on it, and what is the other reason for
> packaging?

I run Tomcat for professional reasons. Its for those same reason I
prefer to use the latest version of packages. Not outdated shipped
binaries. But to each their own.

>  And for the newbies the binaries tomcat.apache.org provides
> are perfect (at least they work!).

Did anyone ever say Tomcat on Gentoo did not work? Again this was an
uninformed user griping about dependencies at compile time. Not runtime
issues.

> Btw, when we are on it, can you please remove gcj from the distro?

gcj is not officially in Gentoo. There is an overlay, but it's not one
of the available compilers at this time. There is no gcj in the main
tree that's meant to be used as a jvm replacement. If one is present
it's because it's part of gcc. gcj is Redhat's baby so any griping
should be forwarded to them.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java