Hello,

Thanks for all the replies to my plea. I should point out that I am not trying to do all the configuring of virtual hosts in the context.xml file. I realize I still need the <Host> entries in server.xml, however, I believe there is a way of specifying the context information in context.xml that resides in the META-INF directory of the hosts .war file. (i.e. one .war file per host, each with its own context.xml file).

I.e. I don't want to have any <Context> tags in server.xml.

I don't want to use the mod_jk approach as I think this can be done with Tomcat alone (I've already set up iptables to reroute from 80 to 8080).

Here's the set up I imagine (a fixed size font may be needed to view the directory structures below)...

In server.xml...

<Host name="domain1.com" appBase="?????">
</Host>

<Host name="domain2.com" appBase="?????">
</Host>

The domain1.war and domain2.war files are placed into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps.

In domain1.war (shown as expanded by Tomcat)....

domain1 (in webapps)

|----------...
|----------META-INF
               |-------------context.xml

In domain2.war (again, shown as expanded by Tomcat)....

domain2 (in webapps)

|----------...
|----------META-INF
               |-------------context.xml

Where the contents of the context.xml files are as follows...

   <Context path="?????" docBase="?????"/>

The problem I'm having is that I have tried every combination of docBase, path and appBase values imaginable and always end up with a 400 not found error. Does anyone out there know what ????? should be in each case (or am I missing attributes / tags)? Ultimately, I would like each of the .war file's contents to be accessible via...

   http://www.domain1.com
   http://www.domain2.com

...by the way, this was easy on JBoss (but don't have the option to use it here). Since JBoss uses Tomcat as it's web server, I would have thought it would be possible with just Tomcat.

Thanks,

Matthew