From: Rashmi Rubdi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:25 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat deployment question

Hi Lakshmi,

I'll explain the way I got it to work - I think it's correct because I
can access my app at the root context http://localhost:8080/

Please find my replies below:

Of course you can undo all the changes mentioned below and bring it back
to the original state at anytime.

On 4/25/07, Lakshmi Venkataraman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here's my dierctory set up:
>
> <TOP_DIR>
>    --Tomcat55                   {catalina.home}
>         --bin
>         -- conf
>            -- Catalina
>                  --localhost
>                         myApp.xm

In the above change myApp.xml to ROOT.xml

>         --common
>         --server
>         --webapps
>
>    -- myApp
>            context.xml
>            index.html
>            --bin
>            --html
>            --jsp
>            --css
>            --jar
>            --WEB-INF
>                 web.xml
>                  --classes
>                  --lib
>

> myApp.xml has the following:
> <Context docBase="C:\TOP_DIR\myApp" path="/myApp" override="true"
> privileged="true">
> </Context>

Now myApp.xml is renamed to ROOT.xml , keep the path attribute empty as
in path=""
the docBase attibute looks correct.

It is also fine to keep your project outside Tomcat's webapps folder, it
makes it easier to upgrade Tomcat in the future.

>  context.xml under myApp has
> <Context path="/myApp"/>

Also change path to path="" in context.xml

> http://localhost:8080 brings up the default Tomcat homepage.

After making the above configuration changes in ROOT.xml and context.xml
the app should be accessible at http://localhost:8080/

http://localhost:8080.
> So what am I missing in my definitions in myApp.xml or
> myApp/context.xml?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Lakshmi

The concept is that ROOT.xml represents the root context which
corresponds to the first slash / after http://localhost:8080

If the context is called myApp.xml then naturally it is not the root
context so it appears under the myApp context.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards
-Rashmi