Rainer,

How about a "big bug" report? Sorry for the typo ;-)

An update.

With the "route"/"redirect" strategy, I did as you suggested and changed
my "redirect" to the route name rather than the worker name. It now
seems to work as I itended: Failovers are between redirect partners. I
did a good 6 or 7 failures, back and forth, with no "errors." Thanks
very much!

I then went is and simply deleted the "redirect" directive and put in a
"domain" directive. Everything else stayed the same. That is I had
workers w1-w4, each of which had a specified route tc1-tc4. This did not
work. It basically behaved like my "redirect" configuration when I
specified worker names rather than routes for the redirect. At times
fail-overs went outside the domain. My config for this scenario is
below. If I understood your other email, all I needed to change was
swapping domain for redirect and I could leave the routes alone, so that
is what I tried.

Thanks again!

=======
workers.proprties for attempt at using both "domain" and "route"

### Global worker maintenance interval in seconds
worker.maintain=30

###
### The list of all workers
###
worker.list=router

###
### The real workers
###
# Set w1 properties
worker.w1.socket_keepalive=1
worker.w1.socket_timeout=20
worker.w1.reply_timeout=20000
worker.w1.retries=2
worker.w1.connection_pool_timeout=60
worker.w1.type=ajp13
worker.w1.host=localhost
worker.w1.port=8031
worker.w1.lbfactor=1
worker.w1.route=tc1
worker.w1.domain=d12

# Set w2 properties
worker.w2.socket_keepalive=1
worker.w2.socket_timeout=20
worker.w2.reply_timeout=20000
worker.w2.retries=2
worker.w2.connection_pool_timeout=60
worker.w2.type=ajp13
worker.w2.host=localhost
worker.w2.port=8032
worker.w2.lbfactor=1
worker.w2.route=tc2
worker.w2.domain=d12

# Set w3 properties
worker.w3.socket_keepalive=1
worker.w3.socket_timeout=20
worker.w3.reply_timeout=20000
worker.w3.retries=2
worker.w3.connection_pool_timeout=60
worker.w3.type=ajp13
worker.w3.host=localhost
worker.w3.port=8033
worker.w3.lbfactor=1
worker.w3.route=tc3
worker.w3.domain=d34

# Set w4 properties
worker.w4.socket_keepalive=1
worker.w4.socket_timeout=20
worker.w4.reply_timeout=20000
worker.w4.retries=2
worker.w4.connection_pool_timeout=60
worker.w4.type=ajp13
worker.w4.host=localhost
worker.w4.port=8034
worker.w4.lbfactor=1
worker.w4.route=tc4
worker.w3.domain=d34

# router is a load balancer
worker.router.type=lb
worker.router.balance_workers=w1,w2,w3,w4
worker.router.sticky_session=True
worker.router.sticky_session_force=False
worker.router.method=S
worker.router.recover_time=30

###
### The status worker