> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Java 1.6
>
> I don't believe that javac has undergone significant upgrades through
> the years...

Actually, it has, but the big improvements were between 1.3 and 1.5.
The javac in Java SE 6 doesn't appear to be much different from that in
1.5 in terms of efficiency of the generated byte codes.

> I would bet that each release of the JVM gets leaner and meaner.

Definitely meaner, in that the JITs do produce better code.  I certainly
wouldn't describe either of the HotSpot JITs as "lean".  (The server
compiler was the basis for a several hundred-page PhD thesis a few years
ago :-)

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.