Christopher Schultz wrote:

Chuck,

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: Java 1.6

I don't believe that javac has undergone significant upgrades through
the years...
Actually, it has, but the big improvements were between 1.3 and 1.5.

Really? Other than crap like auto-boxing, attributes, and foreach-style
'for' syntax, what has the compiler done for me, lately? I see all that
as syntactic sugar.
IME, there was a big jump in application performance from 1.3 to 1.4, and a smaller one from 1.4 to 1.5. That may well have been due to the improvements in the JIT compiler, though. The addition of generics in 1.5 was an important improvement in making reliable code the first time around, too.

There were also significant enhancements in the language to make certain operations a lot easier from 1.3 to 1.4, and again a smaller jump from 1.4 to 1.5. I can't come up with any specific examples right now, but I certainly remember thinking how nice it was when I upgraded my app and was able to replace large chunks of hand-written code with one or a few lines of new method calls.