> From: Tony Anecito [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Is it possible to run Tomcat and Apache on the same
> port?

You can't run two processes bound to the same endpoint (combination of
IP address and port).  As httpd (what you call "Apache") and Tomcat are
separate process, you can't do this.  As Filip has already said, you'd
need two IP addresses if you wanted them both on :80.  Ideally you'd
also need two host names for them - www.mydomain.example and
services.mydomain.example, for example - although you *could* use the
bare IP address for the services one if you had to.  It's generally far
easier to allocate another hostname.

> What I want to do is have my website running on
> Apache web server on port 80

Is this just static content, or is there anything dynamic in it that
Tomcat can't serve?  If it's static, one option is for Tomcat to serve
that content.

> I am trying to avoid web service requests going to a
> different port on the client side and getting stopped
> by a proxy but perhaps that does not stop http
> requests going another site on port say 81?

If you're calling these web services from the client, the only ports you
can rely on are 80 and (usually) 443 for SSL.  Many firewalls also leave
8080 open, but I've come across some more vindictive firewalls that drop
requests to 8080.  You'll also find a few *really* vicious firewalls
that disallow SOAP across the Internet, so it's all a matter of degree.

                - Peter