Hi Tony-

*If* you're comfortable with Tomcat serving all your content then you
*could* assign Port 80 to non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector

I found this quite helpful concerning tuning your Apache Server
http://www.howtoforge.com/configuring_apache_for_maximum_performance

If you're going to stay with Apache Tomcat connectors I found this
Apache-Tomcat connector readme helpful
http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/connectors.html

An article from craig on Apache and Tomcat integration (albeit dated from
03)
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=104874913017036&w=2

Of course benchmarking which seems to be so dependent on your environment
that nobody will publish results without YMMV as seen here
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/article/4752

This is a TC 5.9 benchmark suggesting 7085 requests/min on 1.4Ghz 2gb ram
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/200505.mbox/%3C200505251
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Then again running latest POSIX compliant kernels make a BIG difference as
seen here in this benchmark of POSIX compliant 2.6 kernel vs 2.4
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-web26/

YMMV!
Martin--

M--