Thank you Alan and Markus!

I followed the instructions of both you and I kept getting info (via
netstat) about a java.exe listening on port 8005 on localhost. I went
and uninstalled both Tomcat and java; made sure all references to them
are gone from the system variables and also deleted their keys from
the registry.

To make sure all java is gone from the computer I typed

java -version

at the command prompt and got a response that java is not a recognized command.

Then I rebooted the machine.

However, after all this, I am still getting info about two instances
of java.exe listening on several ports, one of which is 8005.

So I still need help.

Thanks,

Ljuba

On Dec 14, 2007 5:38 PM, Markus Schönhaber
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ljuba Veselinova wrote:
>
> > It looks like java is listening to port 8005; there appear to be two
> > instances of java.exe running and each one of them is listening to
> > several ports. I need java to run though. Is it safe to end the
> > instance of java.exe listening to port 8005?
>
> If you don't know what the already running instance of java.exe does,
> "safe" is the wrong word. But since you are experimenting with Tomcat,
> I'd call it a "safe" bet that it's a Tomcat instance that's already
> running. You could do a
> telnet localhost 8005
> If telnet is able to connect, type
> SHUTDOWN
> an press the Enter key (by default with Windows' telnet you won't get
> any visual feedback of what you type). Wait a few seconds and check
> whether the java.exe process bound to 8005 is still running.
>

> Regards
>   mks

Ljuba Veselinova
Dept of Linguistics          Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stockholm University      Phone: +46-8-16 2332
106 91 Stockholm          Fax  : +46-8-15 5389
Sweden                         URL  : http://www.ling.su.se/staff/ljuba/

"We learn by going where we want to go."
                                          Julia Cameron