On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Mark Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>  > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM, David kerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >>  4.1.37 is probably your best short-term solution, and work toward 6.x in
>  >>  the mid-to-long term.
>  >
>  > That was my gut feeling.  Could you explain why that is?  Is 5.5 a
>  > wasteland?  I'll need to understand the rationale behind the
>  > recommendation to make it stick with the development team.
>
>  Current status is available from:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/TomcatVersions

Thanks - that's a very handy summary.

Could someone help me  understand the differences between the servlet
and JSP versions?  Do the numbers imply no backward and/or forward
compatibility?  Given that the app I am administering was written some
years ago for 4.1, and I've been told it needs a specific Java version
(1.4.2_11) does this increase the likelihood of substantial rewrites
being needed to run on newer versions of Tomcat?

I'm puzzled - I don't know much about Java - how much changes?  And
why so quickly!?

S.