> From: Stephen Nelson-Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Support and development of versions
>
> Could someone help me  understand the differences between the servlet
> and JSP versions?

The servlet and JSP specs are the place to look.  Each document includes
a section on what's changed from earlier versions.
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/mrel/jsr154/index2.html
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr245/index.html

> Do the numbers imply no backward and/or forward
> compatibility?

Newer versions of Tomcat should run webapps based on older
specifications without any real difficulty.  Problems arise when webapps
do something container specific, such as depend on bugs fixed in later
versions.  Tomcat configuration has changed significantly, as might be
expected, so don't just blindly copy over your old server.xml and
<Context> elements when moving up.  Read the Tomcat docs, and modify the
various .xml files that come with the version of Tomcat you're moving
to.

> I've been told it needs a specific Java version (1.4.2_11)

The above is highly likely to be pure BS.  Again, other than webapps
absuing the system by being dependent on bugs or security holes fixed in
later levels, older programs run happily on the latest JVMs (which also
tend to be significantly faster than older ones).

The one significant incompatibility I remember is that classes being
imported must be part of a package.  It was never good practice to use
packageless classes, and at some point in the last few years it became
illegal.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.