Hi,

jarrod schrieb:
Hi all. I'm trying to follow the Tomcat docs instructions for building jsvc.
I can't get past the ./configure step. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Trying to build on Ubuntu Linux. Linux linux-workstation 2.6.22-14-generic.

which version of jsvc do you try to compile?
Which docs page are you referring to?

I've uninstalled all versions of Java except the JDK 6 I downloaded from
Sun. I set JAVA_HOME and added JAVA_HOME/bin to my PATH.

I tried to run it like this:

./configure --with-java=/usr/local/java/bin/java

I get this:

*** Current host ***
checking cached host system type... ok
*** C-Language compilation tools ***
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

Then I check the log and find...

Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)
configure:2131: $? = 0configure:2138: gcc -V >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:2141: $? = 1
configure:2164: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2191: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:2194: $? = 1
configure:2232: result: configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| | int
| main ()
| {
| | ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2239: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

I downloaded commons-daemon-1.0.1 (the most recent although 3 years old) and it runs configure without problems. I compared the line numbers from your output and they don't coincide with mine. So either you are using a strange jsvc version, or you regenerated the configure script. Check if your configure script still has an old time stamp (mine is May 17, 2005) and is located in daemon-1.0.1/src/native/unix.

Regards,

Rainer