Hi Ethan,

jarrod schrieb:
which version of jsvc do you try to compile?

The one distributed with Tomcat 6.0.16. It's in tomcat/bin as jsvc.tar.gz.

OK, I checked and that one is identical to the one I tried (commons-daemon 1.0.1).

Which docs page are you referring to?

I mean the main Tomcat site...

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html

I also checked the file INSTALL.txt that's inside jsvc.tar.gz.

I tried generating the configure script using autoconf. And also I tried
what it said in INSTALL.txt:

sh support/buildconf.sh

You should *not* do that without special reason. Usually the configure file provided as is should be fine. I assume the config.log you posted came from the configure you recreated and that was the reason for the line numbers that differed from mine. Let's ignore this for the moment, since you get the same problem with the original configure.

Same result each time -- what I described.

So let's look at your config.log:

Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

Hmmmm prerelease ...

configure:2131: $? = 0configure:2138: gcc -V >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:2141: $? = 1

The "-V" problem we should ignore. I get the same error, but apart from that configure works and make too. The "-V" thing is an ancient way of determining gcc version that does not work any more.

configure:2164: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2191: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:2194: $? = 1
configure:2232: result: configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| | int
| main ()
| {
| | ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2239: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Aha, here it breaks. So next I would try to compile this test program myself, to see, if the compiler really is not able to compile the snippet. If so, then something is wrong with your environment.

So create a new file with the contents

/* confdefs.h.  */
#define PACKAGE_NAME ""
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
#define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
#define PACKAGE_STRING ""
#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
/* end confdefs.h.  */

int
main ()
{

  ;
  return 0;
}

and try to compile it with "gcc filename". See if you get a resulting binary a.out or an error during compile/link.

Regards,

Rainer