> From: Maduranga Kannangara [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> What I need simply is a clean shutdown on Tomcat :-)

Yes.  In order to *get* that clean shutdown, you need to find out what's
preventing it :-).

One common problem is that something in your webapp has created a thread and
not marked it as a daemon thread
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Thread.html#setDaemon(boolean)
 - yes, I know that's probably for the wrong Java version, but the problem
still stands).  The JVM won't exit while that thread's still alive, so the
notion of trying to shut down Tomcat then getting a thread dump after that
point is a very good one.

Hmm.  You're on a 1.5 JDK on Linux.  That means you should be able to use
jstack to get a thread dump - might be worth a try.  I don't think we can help
you much more on this list until we have some idea of what's keeping the JVM
running!

                - Peter